Harmonized HRS Creation Code
The Harmonized HRS version C dataset is created using data from Wave 1 through Wave 14 of HRS.
Download the Harmonized HRS Stata Creation Code.
To run the Harmonized HRS Creation Code in Stata:
- Download and store the following Stata data files from the HRS Data Products site. Save all file in a single folder on your computer:
- Cross-wave: Tracker File
- HRS Core Data, years 1992-2018
- 2017 Fall Life History Mail Survey
- 2017 Spring Life History Mail Survey
- 2015 Life History Mail Survey
- Cross-Wave Census Region/Division and Mobility File
- RAND HRS Fat Files, years 1992-2018
- RAND HRS Longitudinal File 2018
- RAND HRS Family Data 2014
- Edit lines 14 of the Stata Creation Code to list the folder location of the all HRS data and edit line 15 to list the folder location where you would like to save the Harmonized HRS dataset.
If you would prefer to work with the Harmonized HRS dataset in a statistical package other than Stata, you can convert the Harmonized HRS Stata dataset using a program such as Stat/Transfer.
If you do not have access to Stat/Transfer, you may be able to read the .dta dataset into your stat package using an “import” or “get” function.
When reading a .dta dataset into another package, it is best to first save the dataset in a Stata version 12 format using the command saveold.