SURVEY DATA ACCESS INSTRUCTIONS
If you are a first-time user or created your HRS account before 9/1/2020, you will need to create a new account to log-in and download datasets.
2. Fill out the following form at their website and click “create new account”
3. The following message will appear instructing you to check your email address.
4. You will receive an email from HRS within 24 hours containing a link to log into your new account and create a new password.
- NOTE: The link in the email can only be used once. For future visits, log in at https://hrsdata.isr.umich.edu/user with the email address used to create your account.
5. Once you set your password you will see the following screen. Click on “Data Downloads” to access raw and Harmonized datasets.
6. Select the category of interest to access codebooks, questionnaires, and datafiles.
Additional information about the datafiles:
- The “HRS Survey Data” accesses merged respondent-level raw datafiles, the RAND HRS (the main user-friendly dataset for a subset of the HRS), and other user-friendly RAND files.
- The “Gateway Harmonized Data” accesses the Harmonized HRS, a supplemental dataset to the RAND HRS containing variables the RAND HRS doesn’t already include, and the Harmonized HRS End of Life, a user-friendly version of a subset of the HRS exit interview files.
*Please note that while these instructions provide a general overview of the process to access HRS data via the Study Website, the exact steps and interface may vary slightly.